Educators value the success of all students. Educators care for students and act in their best interests.

In my grade 1 and 2 class, I had some students who were not yet meeting the learning intention for the shapes unit that I was teaching. The three students were unable to picture the shape abstractly to describe the attributes associated with the shape I had inquired about. After further examination of the way these students learned I discovered that these students learned through tactile supplies and included this in further assessment for the students. I used observations and looked into new ways to incorporate this in my teaching. This allowed for my students to have the tools they needed to succeed and meet the learning intention. This scenario required me to reassess my own teaching strategies to incorporate new ideas that would act in the best interest of these students.

This experience demonstrates this professional standard as I needed to reassess my teaching to suit the needs of these students. I differentiated the learning for students who required different tools to meet the learning intention which demonstrates how I valued their success within my shape unit and cared about their individual learning.

I learned the importance of differentiating learning and how important manipulatives are in a math lesson. It allows for students to develop their abstract thinking about these math processes. Taking this learning forward I will include more manipulative and learning through play activities within a primary classroom. I also discovered the importance of having enough of these supplies while working through the pandemic to ensure each student is safe when using the supplies.